Documentary film production site of (tentatively titled) "The Drift"

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Work and days



I'm less than twenty tapes away from finishing the (exhausting) logging and capturing process into my fancy-schmancy "post-production suite" (i.e. laptop in my bedroom).

For better or worse, this film will be lengthy for a documentary, given Hollywood comedies now clock in at 2.5 hours and documentaries usually under 1.5...a swap in running times needed, methinks. I'm not going to L-cut as much as I thought I would (non-sync sound image/sound combination), but will instead go the route of long, single-take speeches and scenes. It's impossible for me to narrow everything I need down to McNugget sound-bytes, nor would I conceive of such a thing, given the time I've put into this thing. I'm hoping for strong enough "scenes" or shots to hold everything together. In other words, more Jean Eustache and less PBS.

It is Eustache and his remarkable The Mother and the Whore where I find inspiration right now, especially when David (in the above photo) speaks for long stretches of time, much like Jean-Pierre Leaud's character in the Eustache.

I realize, also, that I'm dealing with drastically different material from 2005 than 2006. Not only was I better trained behind the (somewhat) clunky DVX-100, but I was less interested in capturing "the moment" up-close, but reflecting on what was in front of me. The latter philosophy has been a guiding force for future projects.

I will be posting video/photos here soon, so please check back. Until then, the above photo is the first I've posted on this page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home